Sunday, July 13, 2014

Traditional Maltese Ice-Cream

Remember that ice-cream that used to be served in weddings and holy communion receptions? Here's the recipe!

As usual me and my friend Georgina became obsessed with recreating this old time favorite ice-cream! Unlike gbejniet, this took only a couple of days to achieve!

Ingredients

2 cans evaporated milk
100g sugar
1 cinnamon stick
1 rind of a lemon grated
1/4 cup heave cream.
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
Handful of peanuts
Optional - candid peel

Put 1 can of milk, sugar, cinnamon and lemon rind in a pot, bring to boil and let simmer for 10 minutes.

Pour the mixture through a sieve into a stainless steel bowl and discard the lemon rind and the cinnamon stick.

Mix in the other can of milk, cream and vanilla.

Chill in the freezer for half an hour.

If using an ice-cream maker, pour the chilled mixture in the ice cream maker and let it churn away!

Alternatively you can do it the old fashioned way ... by beating the ice cream with a spatula every 20 minutes.

Serve with crushed peanuts and candid peel.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you!!! My mum is Maltese and I was lucky enough to spend every summer holiday there as a child. I've been looking for a recipe for this ice cream for years. I haven't tried it yet but it looks exactly right. Will be doing tomorrow. I'll let you know how I get on!

Joe Dayney said...

Is this like what Tanti Palmer used to have ? I thought it was very custard-like with a touch of almond flavor ? I have been told this type of Ice Cream is called "Il Giletti Tal Nanni" ... ?

Carmx said...

Me too. I am Maltese, living in UK.

gingin said...

Karl, I'm craving this one again...might have to make it this week. Thinking of you my friend :)